Friday, May 1, 2015

Week 4: Google Earth

During this week, we worked with creating a tour in Google Earth.  I made my tour about the 5 largest cities in Oregon.  These included Portland, Eugene, Salem, Gresham, and Hillsboro.  I learned how to mark cities and add a description, image, and link to the city website.  I learned the code to create a break in the text, which may come in useful later on.  I feel like creating a tour like this would be incredibly useful for a geography or social studies lesson.  I could create a tour of the places the students are going to learn about, and give them a brief description and insight to the places or things they will be learning about.  This would provide an interesting and attention-grabbing preview for the lesson that day.  Students will likely be more interested in what they will be learning about if they have a basic idea of what that might be.

I also learned how to create the actual tour (recording), so that could make it even more engaging for students, instead of having them just watch me clicking on the places individually.  Overall, this was really useful and I think that i could definitely use it in 1st-12th grade classroom.  It might not be the most useful for Kindergarten students, but I might be able to find a way to make it work.

-Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment